Who Is Walter Pless?


A teacher by profession, but is now in his 38th year as a football writer. Has written for "Soccer Action" (Melbourne), "Australian Soccer Weekly" (Sydney) and "World Soccer" (London), as well as for several Tasmanian newspapers. Currently contributing to "Goal!Weekly" in Melbourne and the Australian magazine "Soccer International". Played for Croatia-Glenorchy, Caledonians, Metro, Rapid and University in Tasmania, as well as in the United States of America. Coached University, Metro and Croatia-Glenorchy.

Who's Online

We have 79 guests and no members online

Michael Edwards is one of the most highly qualified football coaches in Tasmania and it came as no surprise when he was appointed as the acting head coach of the women’s football program at the Tasmanian Institute of Sport following Vicki Linton’s recent departure.

He had been a volunteer coach at the TIS and has filled the role of acting head coach for the past five weeks.

The year’s program ends at the end of the month and the 46-year-old Edwards is keen to obtain the position full time.

He holds the Asian Football Confederation’s ‘A’ coaching licence, which he obtained last year at a course in Canberra, and is keen to progress to the AFC’s ‘Pro’ licence.

“The first ‘pro’ licence course was run this year and the next will be in a couple of years’ time,” said Edwards, who was the Clarence United coaching director until he took over at the TIS.

“I would like to qualify for the next level, but you have to spend two years coaching after you get the ‘A’ licence before you take that next step.

“I’d like to continue with the women’s program at the TIS for now.

“Any opportunities that come up as a result of the coaching corridors or pathways, though, I’ll have a look at.”

Edwards was an assistant coach at a V-League club in Vietnam from 2003-2004.

After returning to Tasmania, he realised he needed more qualifications and experience.

“When I came back, I did some more courses and moved up, so now I just need more time coaching,” he said.

Edwards is optimistic about the women’s game in Tasmania.

“Women’s football is growing and, with that growth, we’re starting to see the emergence of a lot of good young players,” he said.

“What we need for those young players is good-quality coaching and good programs.

“The main downfall at the moment is that we don’t have the coaches and we don’t have coach education pathways that are going to help male and female players.

“There are some good players individually in our women’s league, but team-wise, they’re a long way off from where they need to be.

“But, the women’s game is still growing and is in its infancy.

“We are 10 years behind where we should be, but we’re well on the way.

“Clubs are now putting better coaches into their women’s programs and they’re taking it more seriously.

“It’s not just a kick-around any more, and players are taking it more seriously, and that’s good to see.”

Clarence United 2-0 Northern Rangers [Milan Lakoseljac Memorial Trophy Final]


Clarence United were clearly the better side and deserved to win the Milan Lakoseljac Memorial Trophy, the club’s first silverware at senior level in 31 years.

Northern Rangers were impressive at times, but they lacked penetration up front and their back-four were vulnerable to the quick Clarence counter-attacks.

Clarence used width well and the speed of Chris Hunt, in particular, was devastating.

Paul Bremner, a former Clarence player, showed some extraordinary skills - he juggled the ball over and past a couple of opponents in midfield with almost nonchalant ease at one point - and Thataetsile Kakadumane was also a force in the middle of the park.

Bremner later changed places with Kakadumane, but Rangers still failed to launch many dangerous raids against a superb Clarence back-four protected by a robust, skilful and fast midfield quartet.

Clarence got off to the perfect start when they scored from a free-kick in the 3rd minute.

Sam McIntyre fired the free-kick on target, but the ball took a deflection off a defender and, despite Marshall Pooley diving full-length and getting his hands to the ball, it rocketed into the net.

In the 7th minute, Derek Schipper went on an amazing slalom run past four Clarence players and into the box, but just as he was about to score, he stood on the ball and fell over.

Clarence then hit back and Luke Cripps forced a corner in the 11th minute with a low drive that Pooley did well to turn wide.

Midway through the half, Luke Huigsloot headed Mattias Toghill’s cross from the right straight at Pooley when he probably should have scored.

In the 41st minute, Pooley again showed his class when, after a corner by Hunt, he raced off his line and blocked a shot at McIntyre’s feet.

Ben Parker was booked in the 58th minute for a foul on Luke Connors as the Rangers striker threatened to break through on the right of the box.

Rangers amazingly survived in the 64th minute when Hunt stole the ball from Sam Luck and set up McIntyre with a chance, but Pooley was off his line in a flash and again saved at McIntyre’s feet.

Two minutes later, Rangers were less fortunate as they fell further behind.

The move started when McIntyre picked out Hunt with a long diagonal pass from right to left.

Hunt beat Brad Langerak on the left and took the ball to the byline before playing it across the face of goal to Ben Hamlett.

Pooley parried Hamlett’s shot wide, where Cripps’s shot was again blocked, but Luke Huigsloot rammed it home to make it 2-0.

Rangers still had life in them, however, and Moschogianis pulled off a fine save from Sam Nugteren in the 78th minute.

A minute later, Matt Lewis cleared Bremner’s header off the line as the northerners desperately sought a goal to put them back in the game.

Nine minutes from the end, a great run down the left by Hunt saw him cross to McIntyre, who shot over the bar while under pressure from Pooley, who had come off his line.

In the 82nd minute, Hamlett was presented with a chance but placed his shot straight at Pooley.

Substitute Andy Barron almost added a third for Clarence in the 88th minute when Luck’s error gave possession to Cripps and he crossed to the youngster, but the ball rolled agonisingly wide of the post.

Pooley made certain of the man-of-the-match accolade when, a minute into stoppage time, he denied Cripps in a one-on-one situation.

The sides meets again next weekend in the intrastate final-four series at Birch Avenue in Launceston, but Rangers will need to do much better than they did in this game to have any chance of victory.


· Clarence United coach, Andrew Brown, said:

“Absolutely magnificent.

“It appeared to be a good game, with lots of chances, opportunities, and actually some sublime skill at times.

“From my experience in playing in finals football, you have to be able to put the ball in the back of the net when it counts.

“I was a bit worried that we wouldn’t do that. We should have killed them off earlier.

“When they’re a good side like Northern Rangers, we had to be at our best.

“Today, we were.

“In my opinion, the game plan, the tactics, absolutely perfect. The players executed it to the letter.

“I have no complaints from my players and I told them if they did we would have silverware for the first time in 31 years.

“I’m so happy for the players and for the football club to win two out of three finals on offer.

“It’s a fantastic achievement.

“We hope we can regroup by next week. I’m not so sure how well we’ll regroup because we will celebrate long and hard, but we’ll enjoy today and worry about next week next week.”

· Northern Rangers coach, Roslan Sa’ad, said:

“The better team won.

“Their boys were just hungrier than us. Basically, that’s it.

“We’ll see how we go next week.”


Clarence United: Moschogianis - Toghill, Lewis, Parker, McMahon - S McIntyre, Stevens (Phillips 83), L Huigsloot, Hunt - Hamlett (Barron 85), Cripps (Substitutes not used: Hoppitt, Sweetten)

Booked: Parker 58

Goals: own-goal 3, L Huigsloot 66

Northern Rangers: M Pooley - Langerak (Tuma 77), Nugteren, Luck, Gaskin - Nicholson, Schipper, Kakadumane (Tams 77), Ambrose (Townsend 55) - Bremner, Connors (Substitutes not used: R Pooley, Jago, Lichtendonk)

Booked: Connors 77

Att: 600 (KGV Park, Saturday, 22 August 2009)

Ref: K Barker

Hobart Olympic 4-1 Clarence United [Women’s State-wide Cup Final]


Clarence United made a mighty effort to win this cup against a vastly more experienced Hobart Olympic side.

Clarence’s central midfielders, Kathryn McLeod and Jame Archer, were excellent.

They demonstrated fine technique, read the game well, and often controlled this vital area of the pitch.

McLeod played a key part in the opening goal when, in the 11th-minute, she won the ball against Amelia Jones and put Paris Crowe away on the right.

Crowe advanced on goal and placed an accurate shot past Nicola Smith to give her side the lead.

But, when a side has players of the calibre of Bliss Cantrell, Vanessa Johnson, Sarah Fitzgerald and Crystal Dean in its ranks, they are hard to contain.

In the 13th minute, the tide began to turn as Cantrell and Jones were denied by fine saves from Amelia Van Der Niet.

In the 29th minute, Olympic were level as Cantrell kneed Johnson’s corner into the net.

Clarence missed two great chances early in the second half and that gave Olympic the break they needed and, within minutes, Sarah Morris and Cantrell had steered Olympic to a 3-1 lead.

Game over.

Cantrell wrapped it up by completing her hat-trick with Olympic’s fourth goal on the hour.

Clarence had one final chance in the 90th minute when Erin Hall broke through, but she aimed her shot straight at Nicola Smith.


· Hobart Olympic coach, John Fiotakis, said:

“It was an excellent game and both teams played well.

“The first half was pretty flat for us and a typical Olympic start for us.

“We sort of take the first 15 or 20 minutes a bit easier, and the girls were nervous.

“We had a few injuries in the end, but, all in all, congratulations to Clarence for getting to this final and congratulations to our girls for winning it.

“It was a good game.”

· Clarence United coach, Ronnie Bolton, said:

“A game of two halves, I think.

“It could quite easily have been 3-1 to us early in the second half.

“But, credit to Olympic. When they got their chances, they took them. That was the difference.

“Experience against inexperience.”


Squads (Interchange applied):

Hobart Olympic: Smith, Jones, Jarvis, Hooper, Dean, Morris, N Hale, Cantrell, Price, C Hale, Johnson, Shreeve, Fitzgerald, Markellos, Clark, A Ortmann

Goals: Cantrell 29, 55 60, Morris 52

Clarence United: Ven Der Niet, Herbert, Hall, Brighella, Cripps, Pagano, Kannegiesser, Ridler, Crowe, Undy, Edwards, E Ortmann, Archer, Gillbee, Goss, McLeod

Goals: Crowe 11

Att: 200

Ref: S Natoli

Clarence United 1-0 Tilford Zebras [Under-19 Cup Final]


Both sides had several clear-cut chances, but poor finishing and good goalkeeping limited the match to just one goal.

Clarence keeper Trent Cornish, in particular was in outstanding form and saved his side on more than one occasion with outstanding saves.

He was quick to come off his line and, when faced with one-on-one situations, narrowed the angle to perfection and displayed courage in blocking shots as attackers raced towards goal.

Adam McIntyre and Jacob Huigsloot were solid at the heart of the Clarence defence.

Zebras were always dangerous and midfield players supported the strikers well and chanced their hand at shots on goal from range.

Oliver Bird, Matt Hall, Adam Young, Toby Macgregor, Robert Lapolla, Ashley Fisher and Luke Engels were all denied as Zebras threw everything at Clarence in the second half to try and take the game into extra-time.

The match turned when Matthew Chapman came on late in the first half.

Almost immediately, he went close to scoring with a free-kick two minutes before the interval, the ball just missing the angle of crossbar and post.

He was a livewire in attack and created plenty of headaches for the Zebras defence.

The goal came in the 79th minute after clever play on the right by Brendan Garth, who beat an opponent and took the ball to the byline before cutting it back for Sam Reibel to rifle home.

Reibel showed that he used to be a centre-back when, in the final minute, he skied another glorious chance high over the bar.


· Clarence United coach, Alan Jablonski, said:

“I thought it was a typical, cracking cup final.

“Like I said before, a goal either way was going to decide it, and it did in the end.

“Full credit to both sides.

“I thought it was played in a really good spirit, with good clean football.

“I’d just like to mention Sammy Reibel, who thought himself lucky to be here and he ended up scoring the winner. So, well done to him.”

· Tilford Zebras coach, Ronnie Di Felice, said:

“It was a very good cup game and a fairly even match.

“We did have some chances but, unfortunately, we couldn’t put them away.

“We tried a few moves where we opened it right up to give us a little bit of balance on the left flank and the right flank and hoped to expose them, but just on the day, we just couldn’t match it and couldn’t do it.

“They scored the one goal that won them the cup.”


Squads (Interchange applied):

Clarence United: Cornish, T Hamlett, Cashion, Flakemore, Hardwick, A McIntyre, J Huigsloot, Marsh, Chapman, Garth, Knapek, Nicholson, Reibel, Lush, Undy

Goals: Reibel 79

Tilford Zebras: Kay, Luttrell, Gilroy, Smith, S Hall, Bird, M Hall, Young, Macgregor, R Lapolla, Fisher, L Engels, J Kaden, Leitch, Reid

Booked: Luttrell 85

Att: 100

Ref: D Ambler